We will be selecting next year’s First Lego League Robotics Teams at Mitchell before this school year ends. In order to be considered for a spot on a team, students should:
- have strong academic skills
- exhibit positive leadership qualities
- problem-solving ability
- organizational skills
- be able to work well with others
- be willing to share their ideas and respect differences
- exhibit excellent behavior
We will be accepting applications from incoming 4th graders and current 5th graders to fill our teams. If you were on a Mitchell team this year, you still need to go through the application process. All those interested should apply by downloading the FLL application from Mitchell’s website under Clubs. The application will be made available beginning on TUESDAY, APRIL 23, 2019. The deadline to turn in ALL PARTS of the 2019-2020 application is FRIDAY, MAY 24 at 4:00 PM. Please turn in the application to the front office.
NEW this year is a teacher recommendation and grade check
- We have limited space on our teams, so apply early.
- If you miss the deadline you will be placed on a waiting list and may not be able to be placed on a team.
- Students are not officially placed on a team until all applications are reviewed and coaches are decided.
- You will be notified via email once teams are formed.
It is very important for parents to remember that while participating in Robotics is fun and students learn a lot, it is an extracurricular activity that requires a certain level of commitment. Students and parents have to be willing to commit 2-6 hours a week from August until March, with several Saturdays for competition. If your child is NOT INITIATING the desire to participate, robotics may not be the best fit and one of our other awesome opportunities at Mitchell may fit their personality and schedule better. We are always looking for parent coaches, assistant coaches and team volunteers. Without parents we canât support the 100 plus kids that participate each year in the program. If you have an interest in helping, please email Katie McLean firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or check out FLLâs website: https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/fll
New Students enrolling after the May 24th deadline can still submit an application for next year in order to be considered for a team. The fall deadline will be Friday, August 30, by 4:00 PM.